Skip to main content

Financial help to return home

Would you like to return to your home country but have no money for the ticket? The International Organization for Migration (IOM) may be able to help.

If you have had temporary permission to stay in Germany (Langzeitduldung) for two years or more, you can apply for additional financial help for:

  • housing
  • medical care.

You can apply for support at a counselling centre. There you will also get personal advice.

Ask about the REAG/GARP and StarthilfePlus (Stage D) programmes at the counselling centre. 

Note: The information shown varies from country to country.


If you are returning to your home country, you will need two documents:

  • In order to leave Germany, you need certification that you are crossing the German border. This document is called a: border crossing card. You can get this document from the foreigners’ registration office in Germany.
  • To enter your home country, you need a valid passport or a passport replacement document.